Open Call: Political Economy Analysis Consultancy Services for Metamorphosis Foundation
The Foundation for Internet and Society, Metamorphosis is seeking consultancy services to conduct a political economy analysis on the processes, conditions and circumstances in which civil society organizations operate in the Western Balkans region, with a specific focus on Macedonia.. The political economy analysis should focus at the current state of play as well as on future development forecast. Its findings will be used as a base in the process of developing a three year strategic plan for the Metamorphosis Foundation.
The Metamorphosis Foundation is an independent organization, working in Macedonia and in the wider European home since 2007. Our team is composed of committed democracy activists, united in common cause and the common values of mutual accountability, open communication, and an unshakeable commitment to universal human rights and democracy.
Metamorphosis Foundation works on strengthening the awareness and capacity of citizens and civil society to assume their fullest possible role as activists for democracy, while supporting government to fulfil its democratic role in serving society.
Metamorphosis started a process of developing a program, organizational and institutional strategy in order to guide the Foundation for the coming three years. Part of the strategic plan will be dedicated to financial planning, integrity and control as well as funding opportunities and risk assessment.
Therefore, one of the research analysis that we require in the strategic planning process is related to the political and economic context in Macedonia and the Western Balkans region. Being fully aware of the volatility of the political and economic circumstances in the region, apart from analyzing the undertaken and planned government policies towards the civil society organizations, we are keen to understand how the business sector and academia position themselves in regard to the civil society sector. The three year political and economic context forecast will be considered as a crucial part of the analysis.
With the political economy analysis, Metamorphosis aims to better understand the prevailing political and economic processes in our society, the incentives, relationships, distribution and contestation of power between different groups and individuals. By doing that, we intend to set realistic expectations of what can be achieved, over what timescale and the risks involved as part of our three year strategic plan.
The political economy analysis should be multi leveled and the main focus should be on:
- Country analysis as a macro-approach to better understand the broad political and economic environment;
- Civil Society Sector analysis – in order to identify specific barriers and opportunities within particular program areas where Metamorphosis works: good governance, capacity development, human rights and media;
- Problem-driven analysis with which we want to understand the level of inclusion and networking among the business community and the civil society organizations in Macedonia and the region.
The study should be completed in 15 working days in a period of two months.
Specific Objectives & Deliverables
To develop and/or adjust an existing research methodology for conducting the political economy analysis on all three levels: Country, Sector and Problem-driven that will be consistent with our mission and vision.
- Written methodology
To write the political economy analysis based on the previously defined methodology.
- Written draft version of the political economy analysis.
- Final version of the political economy analysis.
- To produce a one hour presentation of the main findings of the political economy analysis and present it to the Metamorphosis management team.
- To produce a written summary of the political economy analysis in maximum two pages.
To regularly consult the Metamorphosis team, especially management and program staff.
For this purpose, one member of the Change Team will accompany the expert during the whole process, give support and provide needed information.
- Conduct at least two meetings with the management and program staff, on in the phase of shaping the methodology and one for presenting the results.
Note that the copyrights for all the produced deliverables as part of this research study process is owned by Metamorphosis Foundation. The final products should all be written in an easily understandable English language and contain visuals that could be re-used by Metamorphosis Foundation.
The contracted consultants should have the following minimum qualifications and experience:
- Relevant higher academic degree for individuals and/or pool of experts for legal entities
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience, including experience in conducting Political economy analysis for civil society organizations in Europe
- Reference list of previously conducted Political economy analysis (PEAs)
- 18 June – Application deadline
- 18 – 22 June – Contract signing
- 25 June – Meeting for defining the methodology
- 16 July – Draft analysis
- 06 August – Final version of analysis
- 08 August – Presentation of the findings
Applications should be submitted to Marija Panchevska, Finance Manager, at email@example.com.
Application should include a CV, a financial proposal including tentative work-plan and a letter of interest of no more than 500 words explaining how your background and experience(s) qualify you or your company for this type of assignment.
Please also provide contact details of two people/organizations as a reference contacts for your ability to undertake this work.
Deadline: 18 June 2018, 17:00h
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited to interview.