Open call for applications: Geopolitical analyst
Updated: the Call for engagement of a geopolitical analyst is extended to December 2 2022, 23:59.
Metamorphosis Foundation is opening a Call for engagement of a geopolitical analyst as part of its ongoing activities on debunking and mapping the flow of disinformation, misinformation and propaganda trough the region of Western Balkans (WB).
The geopolitical analyst—an individual expert or team of experts—will assist the ongoing efforts that include conducting media monitoring, analysis and debunking of disinformation to analyze trends, synthetize findings from a geopolitical perspective and provide early-warning recommendations for action on national and regional level about the harmful influence of disinformation campaigns in the individual Western Balkans countries (North Macedonia, Albania, Kosovo, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Montenegro) and the region as a whole.
The overall objective of this engagement is to investigate, summarize, synthetize, map, and compare the disinformation flow and patterns in the Western Balkans region for the period January 2022 – December 2022.
The abovementioned findings should be presented in a research report. The research report should be drafted in English.
2. Tasks and Responsibilities
• Conducing an analysis resulting in writing a research report based on the provided information and data from monitoring reports, information from the database with results of daily media monitoring in the countries of the WB, and all other relevant sources of knowledge, including own research and publicly available research results and assessments produced by relevant third parties.
• Proposing a structure and content for the research report, including aspects of presentation of data and presentation in textual and graphics formats, in order to best reflect the needs for understanding the current phenomenon of disinformation and related malign influences aiming to undermine democracy in the WB region and individual countries, leading to early warning recommendations and their most effective presentation in different formats.
• Presentation of the research report
2.1 Provided materials and project support
The expert(s) will be provided with materials gathered throughout the year by the partners implementing the project. Moreover, the selected applicant will be given access to a Knowledge Hub Database containing data input by national media monitors, documenting the coverage of key issues related to the spread of disinformation.
The expert will coordinate with the Metamorphosis Foundation and its partners throughout the process and will jointly define the steps of the research. Metamorphosis Foundation will support the expert with all available resources and contacts during the engagement timeframe.
Experience and competencies:
• Background and/or in-depth knowledge in geo-politics, with focus on the Western Balkans
• Knowledge of disinformation patterns and flows on the Western Balkans
• Previous work in the field of geopolitical and/or media research (preferably with focus on disinformation)
• Fluent knowledge of written English language
• Knowledge of Macedonian, Albanian and/or Serbian/Bosnian/Montenegrin/Croatian will be considered an asset
4. Applications and Evaluation Process
The experts may apply individually, or in a team of maximum 4 members. If the second case, the team should assign a team leader that will submit (a) the professional resumes of all team members, (b) the scope of work for each team member, (c) a timeline of planned activities and (d) financial offer and the manner in which the remuneration should be transferred to the respective team members.
Interested experts need to submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than November 28, 2022:
• CV of the expert to demonstrate subject matter expertise;
• A short concept of the research-analytical engagement and the report (no longer than three pages)
• Financial offer with a breakdown of costs in a separate document with a name Attachment 1: Financial Offer (in a table format according to the following model – Attachment 1 – Financial Offer).
4.1 Selection criteria
The assessment of the applications will be done in the following manner, adding up to 100 points in total:
– Subject matter expertise, demonstrated through CV or CVs of applicants (30 points)
– Short concept of the research-report engagement and the report (35 points)
– Financial offer (35 points)
The research will commence during December 2022 and the report should be finalized by end of January 2023. The precise timeline will be determined through agreement of the expert(s) and Metamorphosis team.
During the engagement, the expert(s) will be expected to be in regular communication with assigned representatives of Metamorphosis Foundation team and its partners.
1. Prepared research report
2. Final Report for the engagement
3. Presentation of the research report in front of the regional partners and/or donors
For any additional info, please contact us at email@example.com.
Other blog texts
“The alerts made high school students anxious and created gaps in their learning" - News Agency Meta.mk
Photo: Meta.mk archive Poorer results and lack of knowledge, lowered concentration, anxiety, and stress among both students and teachers. Students are suffering the consequences of the false bomb threats which interrupted the educational process almost daily for months. In the past few weeks, there have been no reports, after the school management started applying the […]
“The pattern of false bomb threats: 905 threats, eight cities, 76 email addresses [infographic]” – Meta.mk News agency
Photo: Meta.mk Written by: Meri Jordanovska and Antonija Popovska Eight cities, a total of 905 false bomb threats, of which 876 were in elementary and high schools. Almost a third of the threats occurred on Wednesday, while the fewest threats occurred on Monday. February was the month with the most threats – only on five […]
"Only 6.5 per cent of the requests for certificates in 2022 were filled out by citizens in electronic form [infographic]” – Meta.mk News agency
Electronic birth certificate, photo by Pixabay, edited by Portalb.mk Only 6.5 per cent of the requests submitted by the citizens for issuing birth, death, or marriage certificates are in electronic form, while the rest are submitted in person, i.e. with a physical presence. On the other hand, there is an upward trend in the number […]
A recent look towards Cybersecurity in the Western Balkans: How can we improve the cybersecurity level in the region?
Digitalization and Cybersecurity are some of the hot topics in the Western Balkans (WB). The entire region has officially shown its commitment towards digitalization as a process in 2018 by taking on the Digital Agenda for the WB, directly supported by the European Commission. One of the four pillars of the Digital Agenda for the […]
What is digital identity and why do we need it?
The accelerated advancement of technology brought forward its immense influence on our daily lives in terms of providing easy-to-use and faster solutions to our needs. It has also influenced the way we see the world and develop as a society, as well as individuals. Governments have embraced the processes of digitalization to provide different citizen […]
"The future of mass surveillance in Serbia?" - Global voices
Since 2019, Serbian digital rights organizations have warned against surveillance system. Photo of Ana Toskić Cvetinović, LL.M. courtesy the author and used with permission. This article was written by Ana Toskić Cvetinović, executive director of the civil society organization Partners for Democratic Change Serbia, a member of the Increasing Civic Engagement in the Digital Agenda […]