Partners Serbia, as members of the ICEDA network, are organizing their annual conference “Privacy Week” to mark the Data Protection Day (28 January).
Privacy Week represents an annual event established in 2021, 10 years after Partners Serbia, together with the Commissioner for Access to Information of Public Importance and Personal Data Protection, marked Data Protection Day for the first time in Serbia.
The event centers around the discussions on privacy and data protection issues with experts from the civil, private, and public sectors. The event is organized to increase the public’s understanding of the variety of issues facing citizens’ right to privacy, how to defend citizens’ right to privacy, and larger discussions about the state of privacy protection within Serbia and globally. Privacy Week gives public officials, civil society, the private sector, and the public space to discuss, increase mutual understanding, and initiate change.
The aim of Privacy Week is to provide an overview of the achieved standards and problems in the implementation of the existing privacy and personal data protection legal framework, as well as to propose solutions that can help improve the current state of affairs in this area. It should be noted that the event is organized amid the development of the new Personal Data Protection Strategy, The Law on Internal Affairs, Ethical Guidelines for the Development, Application, and Use of Reliable and Responsible Artificial Intelligence and sectorial legislation pertinent to the protection of citizens’ privacy, while some challenges in the area were also recognized in the European Commission’s Report for Serbia 2022.
This year our topics will include:
- Video Surveillance and the Use of Facial Recognition Systems
- Media leaks and protection of privacy
- Data protection impact assessment in legislative processes
- Alignment of sectorial legislation with PDP legal standards
- Control of the implementation of the PDP legal framework
- Scrutiny and Ethics of the Use of Artificial Intelligence
- Privacy as a Competition Issue: PDP Requirements in Mergers and Acquisitions
- Privacy Considerations amid Implementation of the Digital Agenda in the Western Balkans
Privacy week will be organized as a hybrid event with the possibility to participate online or in person.
Detailed agenda Click HERE
This event is supported by European Union, the Embassy of the Netherlands in Serbia, the Open Society Foundation, Serbia, DT Institute and USAID.