Request for applications – Grants for civil society organizations within the CriThink project
The Critical Thinking for Mediawise Citizens – CriThink project announces:
Call for support of local civil society organizations
Application deadline: 6 July 2018
The Critical Thinking for Mediawise Citizens – CriThink project, implemented by Metamorphosis Foundation in partnership with Eurothink, supported by the European Union, announces this request for applications to provide support to initiatives of local civil society organizations in partnership with media and other stakeholders, which will promote creation of culture of critical thinking through promotion of media literacy.
The initiatives ought to be directed toward fulfilling the project’s overall objectives through activities adjusted to the local needs in each of the 8 planning regions. The overall objective of the action is to promote media literacy as basis for safeguarding the right of citizens to hold diverse opinions, via stimulating a culture of critical thinking, pluralism of opinion and democratic values. Specific objectives are:
- To foster a culture of critical thinking via education of the general public on the detrimental impact of media manipulations on democracy and European values.
- To increase capacities of civil society organizations (CSOs) and media to address media manipulations (incl. hate speech) by improving the media literacy levels via joint engagement with state institutions.
- To increase citizen demand for accountable media through public informal education, promotion of professional standards and international practices that protect freedom of opinion and expression.
Eight (8) grants that will support projects in each of the 8 planning regions will be awarded within the first cycle of CriThink’s small grants scheme.
Small Grants Scheme will support initiatives for stimulating a culture of critical thinking via promotion of media literacy, with the following activities from the indicative list (a non-exhaustive list, there’s a possibility for supporting other activities, if considered to be in line with project’s objectives):
- Production of public education contents for the web and/or for the traditional media (radio, TV, print media);
- Promotion of public education contents via various kinds of media;
- Inciting public debate on issues affecting media literacy and critical thinking;
- Engaging citizens to increase their demand for higher quality media production;
- Capacity building of local community members including trainings, workshops and lectures;
- Online promotion via short videos, banners, and other kinds of multimedia contents;
- Enabling citizens to use the competent state institutions/regulatory bodies, as well as self-regulatory mechanisms of journalistic profession to address media manipulations;
- Strategic use of social media to reach wider and/or targeted audiences, including online ads;
- Establishing cooperation and networking between various stakeholders for media literacy advocacy at local and national level.
The grants are primarily dedicated to smaller civil society organizations to provide them with learning and assistance in their capacity building for fundraising and therefore to participate in calls for grants announced by the EU and other donors. Furthermore, partnership with at least one media outlet will have to be concluded.
The complete call as well as the application forms are available at the following links:
Civil society organizations have to submit their applications by using Metamorphosis’ standard online application form, which includes:
- Filled Attachment 1: Application form in Macedonian (word format);
- Scanned copy of the last page of the application form (with seal and signature);
- Filled Attachment 2: Budget form, in Macedonian (excel format);
- Filled Attachment 3: Timeframe form , in Macedonian (word format);
- Filled Attachment 4: Short description of project in English (word format);
- CVs of the project team;
- Copy of the registration document;
- Copy of the Current Balance Sheet issued by the Central Registry not more than 6 months ago;
- Annual work and financial report for the previous year. If an organization is not obligated to prepare a financial report pursuant to article 18 of the Law on Accounting of Nonprofit Organizations, in such case, the organization has to submit a notice only. If a year hasn’t passed since the organization has been registered, the organization is not obligated to submit annual work report.
- Audit report for the previous year (optional).
- Partner information: letters of support.
Complete applications are considered applications that include all completely filled forms and additional attachments.
When filling the Budget Template, organizations ought to take heed of the rules listed in the Budgeting Manual, and all selected grantees, in cooperation with Metamorphosis and Eurothink, will individually initiate VAT exemption procedure on the basis of foreign donation at the Secretariat for European Affairs (SEA).
Application deadline 6 July 2018, 17:00 solely through the application form available at http://crithink.mk/formular. The application forms must be filled in Macedonian, whereas the Short Description of Project form ought to be filled in English.
Applicants who need clarifications or additional information regarding the call can send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 22 June 2018, 17:00 in order to get timely responses before the deadline.